Thursday, May 8, 2008

Roe, Row, Roe

To exhaust the recreational possibilities of Yolo county:

1) Roe on Monday night.
2) Row Tuesday morning.
3) Roe again Tuesday night.

This is my recommended three-step plan for enjoying the early part of a self-unemployed week in early May. Not having actually done any work for three months, I will indulge myself in a little bit of the good old tech-writer style. Lots of step procedures! Keep it brief! Write in chunks!

Anyway, by "roe," I mean, of course, catching lots of shad at Verona and picking out a few egg-fat females for keepers. By "row," I mean filling up the middle of the day (when shad usually don't bite well) with a pleasant run down Cache Creek.

I kept one fish the first night and then three more Tuesday. Amazingly, one turned out to just be a big male, perhaps a beer drinker. Should have thrown him back into the mix.


You can only grill and pickle so much shad meat, but as for the roe, you can't have too much. This early in the season, you generally get really dense, high-quality orange-colored roe. Later on, you'll get roe sacs that are more purplish and not as burstingly full of delicious eggs. That's why I'll do most of my shad murder in this first part of May, and then later on just keep one at a time to make up the odd plate with bacon or black butter and fresh tarragon.


Oh boy don't I love that weird tasty stuff! I contemplated giving a couple of sacs to the neighbor, but then decided to be a greedy glutton and eat it all myself, three sacs to a plate. Too often, shad roe is wasted on normal people, who don't appreciate what a fine thing they are eating. It is best to have some idea of how many hundreds of thousands of fish you are taking out of the ecosystem -- it just seems ethically correct to consider that factor. However, in four years of shadding I have not noticed any dropoff in the impressively large swarms of migrating fish that could be attributed to my uninhibited lunch habits.

Speaking of swarms, they were conspicuously absent on Cache Creek Tuesday. Any weekend day from now until August you'll see hundreds of kids in rented/outfitted boats on the river, and around the river, and hiding out in the cracks and caves of the canyon smoking pot so that they can stupidly capsize and cover the creek with extra obstacles. And yet, I have learned to appreciate them, because they are willing to pick up a hitch-hiking middle-aged man and shuttle him and his large duffel up to the best starting point at Bear Creek. On Tuesday morning, I stood on the shoulder of a nearly-deserted rout 16 with my duffel and paddle for 90 minutes, sporting this sign:

Bear Creek (5 miles up)
$$$ for gas!!!

until I felt like such a thwarted idiot that I took my truck and went actively looking for help with a shuttle. First stop, Mexican field laborer: he can't do it, even for 20 bucks, without permission from "el patron." Second stop: cute girl mowing lawns in bare feet is happy to shuttle me, but only after another hour or so of landscaping work. Third stop: Caroline at the campground will shuttle me in her truck, yippee! Her truck is very big, and 20 bucks may actually just cover the gas.

Appendix note on plumbing the recreational possibilities of Cache Creek on your own: take a lock and a bike and do a bike shuttle!

No comments: