Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Spring BS



Ha! The Spring bullshit is all about mating and fishing, with the fish doing one and me doing the other. I didn't mention in my last post, but Verona got very good. With my heaviest tungsten line hung straight downstream, I was into 'em even when I couldn't bogart the best spot.



But who likes a lineup? Rd. 48 has come on, and the quiet of the runs upstream from the launch there makes shadding so much sweeter. Rushing back from Maine on Friday, I went up there Saturday and got into double digits of some very nice fish. Sunday wasn't as good, but it wasn't bad either. Ah, mating and fishing . . .

Speaking of Maine, the smallmouth were very much on the mate back there. Conventional wisdom, which Mainers love more than anything, was saying that the water was still too cold. It took a Californian sneaking up quietly in a yellow kayak to go out and prove them wrong on two beautiful lakes on Mt. Desert Isle. Here's one of two nice fish one lake



and the largest of a very good number of active bass on another pond



Many thanks to my high school bud Brian, who pointed me to the right spots as only a real fisher can do when talking about his home water (Brian grew up in a camp on the pond's shores. Now he runs a beer pub called Sierra Grill that everyone must visit when in Northampton MA).

This June bullshit is just killin me. Shad on the sweet old Sacramento. Smallmouth on the spawning beds at dusk while the loons sing. And I am now counting the days until Alaska: 21.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I loved this NYer cartoon, glad to see it again. Best wishes for your Alaska trip and I'll be eager to hear all about it when you get back.